Friday, September 09, 2005

The Fusion Reactor #61 - Uneasy Listening

Why would I do a show called Uneasy Listening? I don't know but I did. This will probably be a challenge to listen all the way through. After the spoken word introduction by Laurie Anderson, there are only two tunes with singing. Instead, the rule of the day is pretty much chaos, dissonance and noise. There is an interesting mix of R.I.O. prog, experimental fusion, noise rock, free jazz, math rock, and some things I'm not quite sure how to classify.

It looks like a short playlist, but trust me, it's still about two hours of challenging music. Some of these are just longer songs.

So clean out your ears and get them stretched out for what's ahead. This will not be an easy task. You might want to take some asprin to prevent the headache that might be coming. If you can listen all the way through this one, congratulations. You're ready for some modern classical music, much of which is more "out there" than what you'll hear here.

The playlist:

Difficult Listening Hour - Laurie Anderson 03:11
Agraphia - Panzerpappa 06:56
Vieux-manants - Univers Zero 02:54
Contempt - John Zorn 02:54
Nne (Part 2) - Miles Davis 10:11
The Diamond Sea - Sonic Youth 19:36
One For Eric - Jack DeJohnette 09:43
Zero Tolerance for Silence, part 4 - Pat Metheny 05:13
Eventually - Ornette Coleman 04:23
please tokio, please THIS IS TOKIO - Don Caballero 11:18
Normal - Machine and the Synergetic Nuts 07:25
Kraken's Brain is Blasting - KBB 09:36
Allah Be Praised - Tony Williams Lifetime 04:39
Hamef Ahakim - Ahvak 13:32
Uprostred Slov (In the Middle of Words) - Uz Jsme Doma 09:02

Podcasting information! iTunes... not quite yet, but I'm getting there. Sorry for the slowness, but you can now stream or download this episode simply by clicking! Amazing what technology can do, huh!?

1 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK... I got through it. Some cool stuff there. The first time I've ever heard Ornette Coleman and been able to have some appreciation. I must be getting older.

I've started writing some repetitive stuff in the vein of some of this. But then I thought no one would want to hear it. I guess I was right, if I'm the only person to get through this show and leave a comment!

Thanks for not including Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music! Although a snippet would have been OK. Maybe as the bed behind your voiceover, instead of the usual swirling asteroids thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home