Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Perú 6/18/2010-6/20/2010: Ministry in Lima, then home!

Photos are here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=188379&id=580751501

We'll start off with a confession... I don't really like Lima. I don't like the smog, I don't really like the beach, and I could do without the weather. However, there are some really stunning sights - that is, if you can see them through the smog.

Sleeping didn't help my sore throat. I wonder if I'm getting a cold or if it's just all the pollution. Drinking tea at breakfast didn't help either. The plan from yesterday afternoon (which was to help out at an orphanage and a school) was changed to "go to the market in the most dangerous part of Lima and do an evangelistic outreach." I liked plan A better, but I was obeying the "no complaining" rule and decided to make the best of plan B, even if I didn't like it.

We were strictly admonished not to bring any valuables... in fact don't bring anything. Then I was told to bring my guitar. That does seem to attract attention and if we have a crowd and a translator (our awesome hermano Peruano Franco) we can get something done. The bus took us there and Franco explained that this was not a safe place, the market doesn't sell anything that's not stolen. Stick together and keep an eye out.

It was cloudy as we got off the bus and started praying and asking God to move. Right then the clouds parted and it was a bit brighter. I'd say it was sunny but if you looked up you couldn't actually see the sun through the smog - but at least you could tell it was up there somewhere. We set off and were encouraged and reminded that God is in control and if He wants us to bring light to that dark place, He can provide the light. Franco met up with his mom there in the market and they hugged and cried for several minutes.

We walked around a bit so that people would know that there were a group of gringos in the market, then we set up shop in an empty spot and started playing some worship songs in Spanish. A few people gathered around, so we did our skit. That usually requires a CD player, but we didn't have one so I did my best at playing it on the guitar. I came pretty close, and it was obvious that it was having an impact even without the words to the song.

JD preached a little and we didn't get too much of a response, so we asked for anyone who wanted prayer for anything. Two girls (who said they were already Christians) came up asking for prayer for guidance on where they should go to college. Then a few more people came up, then a few more. Before I knew it, we had prayed for a whole bunch of people. Some were just standing off to the side and it was obvious they wanted prayer but didn't know how to ask. It was wonderful and I know at least two people that I prayed with became Christians today. There was a lady who got healed and so many others were encouraged and built up. It's great to see that God can work even when our attitudes aren't exactly where they should be.

We only had the one translator there - Franco - so when he was busy the rest of us had to do our best with our minimal Spanish knowledge. But God provides that too and I met a woman who was bilingual. She helped us identify the people's needs and prayed with us and even got new Christians hooked up with a local church.

One interesting thing that sets Lima apart from other Peruvian cities I've seen is that they don't look at us as foreigners nearly as much as other places. There are a good number of lighter-skinned people here so we blend in a bit. That's bad in a way because there isn't that draw that we saw elsewhere that allowed us to reach people we normally wouldn't because they wanted to see what those crazy looking gringos were doing. They also come right up to you and start talking a mile a minute in Spanish instead of (like in other places) asking first where we're from and if we speak any Spanish.

We got back on the bus and drove a few blocks to Franco's house (which is also not in the nice part of town) and met his lovely family. That was a really great time and I don't think there was a dry eye in the place as Franco poured out his heart about how we had been a blessing to him - just when we were thinking how he was a blessing to us! We prayed for them and took them all out to lunch. Then we were supposed to go to a school to do some more ministering but it didn't work out for some reason. That got lost in translation somehow.

Back at the hotel, my room mates and I spent some more time with Franco playing guitars and whatnot, then it was time to rest up a bit. We fancied some American food for dinner (one can only have so much chicken, even if it is delicious every time) so we went to Pizza Hut. There's another odd thing about Lima - it's like they want to be an American city and a Peruvian city at the same time. I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing, but after seeing the poverty of Tingo Maria - and Franco's house - it seemed kind of odd to me to be gorging ourselves on pizza.

The next day we ate lunch at T.G.I. Friday's and some folks were complaining that the grease in the Pizza Hut was having a negative effect on their digestive systems. Other than the fact that my sore throat was turning into a full-blown cold, I didn't feel too bad. We went to the Inka Market in the afternoon and bought some souvenirs and such, then ate dinner at a Norky's (it's a Peruvian chain) near the airport.

At one of these restaurants I must have eaten or drank something I shouldn't have, although for the life of me I can't figure out what. The Perú flu hit me on the plane that night. Fever, chills, loss of appetite, and running to the lavatory every so often. Imodium seemed to slow it down a little, but let's just say it was an uncomfortable ride back to the U.S.

We got through customs in Newark in a decent amount of time, got our luggage re-checked, and got on the plane to Pittsburgh without any problems. We were split into two groups, the first of which had to catch their flight about an hour after we landed - and still get through customs and get luggage re-checked and everything. Somehow they did, because when we got to our gate for the later flight, they were already gone. Their luggage came back on our flight though, which wasn't a big deal.

The Perú flu was still in effect so I had to call off work for Monday. That was a bummer, especially right after being commended by my boss for never having used a sick day.

All in all, the trip was well worth it. This was my third time going and it was the best yet. Thanks to everyone who supported me and prayed for the team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home