Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Fusion Reactor #133 - Right at Home

I'm glad to be back home... for the time being, anyhow. I'll be headed off to work in the morning, of course. But before that happens, it's time to celebrate with some prog and fusion, don't you think!?

Mahavishnu Orchestra - On the Way Home To Earth (4:44)
I was pleasantly surprised by the Visions Of the Emerald Beyond album altogether. I had been a bit disappointed by Apocalypse and Inner Worlds, and Visions was the last one I picked up. It's quite good, in my opinion. You'll find that John McLaughlin is an unofficial recurring theme in this show.

Joe Satriani - Home (3:28)
Joe shows us that he's not all flash and speed picking. Very nice melodicism and restraint.

Tony Williams Lifetime - Right On (1:53)
John McLaughlin is back! This frenzied sonic attack is about the opposite of the previous song.

Ten Point Ten - The Long Way Home (5:42)
And we're back to mellow. Lovely vocal harmonies and a nice emotional buildup in a song about the human condition.

Chad Wackerman - Close To Home (5:23)
No, this isn't another John McLaughlin project. Will Allan Holdsworth do instead? And no, this isn't one of those sentimental "home" songs. Unless your idea of sentimental is searing fusion.

Rush - The Color Of Right (4:49)
Speaking of "the last album" I picked up from a band - which isn't necessarily their last/latest album... Test For Echo fits that in the Rush category. Not sure what I was waiting for.

Ajalon - The Long Road Home (18:26)
No, this isn't *the* epic of the evening. I've got a more-epic epic coming up soon! This is a good one though. Narrative poetry is probably underused in prog music. That and the excellent singing make for a really nice song. Wait - is that a Machine Messiah quote I hear? Almost...

Rare Blend - Heading Home (3:17)
From orchestrated prog epics to acoustic guitar and vocals. Bluesy, at that. I guess there's no telling what I'll be playing on The Fusion Reactor.

Ewingwood - Come Back Home (4:11)
I know one of the singer/guitarists in this band. They're not really prog, but this one has a nice dramatic buildup to it so I'd consider it kinda close, anyhow. Now, just put in a 5 minute guitar solo and some mellotron, and we're golden, right?

Miles Davis - Right Off (26:56)
Yes, this would be *the* epic. Ask people about Miles' fusion stuff, and if they're knowledgeable they will bring up A Tribute To Jack Johnson. As if you couldn't tell, that's John McLaughlin on guitar there. Miles didn't get into his "heavily effected" trumpet much yet at this point, so some will find that more appealing.

Salem Hill - Nowhere Is Home (5:13)
That's kind of sad, but it makes sense when you get the story behind the concept album. Which, by the way, blows my mind. It's a dark album, but a very good one as well.

Ornette Coleman - Home Grown (3:23)
Kind of a wild ride here. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was math jazz. The piano, sax, and drums all seem to be playing different stuff at the same time. And that's just the head. Then it gets really weird.

Ahleuchatistas - Right Sock Brown, Red Leg Blue (3:48)

Now this one is definitely math rock. And the title says about all I can think of to say about it. Neat music with some impressive bass playing.

Billy Cobham - a. Searching For the Right Door b. Spectrum (6:34)

Good ol' Billy. Part "a" of this is all Billy, then the band kicks in for part "b." Just the sort of funky fusion you'd expect from a 1973 album from a Mahavishnu Orchestra alumni.

Kansas - Nobody's Home (6:02)
Sure, Steve Walsh's voice was just about completely shot when they recorded this version of one of my favorite Kansas songs. The orchestra fits in nicely though and adds a new dimension that, while I prefer the original, I enjoy hearing now and then. Not sure I get the extended ending though.

The Muffins - Like a Machine That Only Works When It's Working Right (1:59)
In the "the title is almost as long as the song" category, another odd but interesting and fun tune. Maybe one day I'll do a whole show of these. I think I'd be tired by the end though.

Dave Bainbridge - The Homeward Race (5:26)
As we race toward the end of the show, Dave rocks out in 7 for us. How nice of him. I do believe I could listen to his playing all day and not get tired of it. So melodic, so lyrical.

Pat Metheny - Last Train Home (5:19)
Seemed like a good upbeat ending for the show, while mellowing things out after Dave's scorcher. I wouldn't say Pat and Dave are polar opposites, but they definitely have very different approaches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home